Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
We live in maple syrup country, so I'm always on the lookout for a new way to use this wonderful stuff! From the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers. Great with basmati rice and a salad.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Coat chicken pieces in flour.
- In nonstick frying pan, add oil and cook chicken for 5 minutes or until well browned, turning often.
- Arrange chicken in a 9 by 12 baking dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour evenly over chicken.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to one hour, turning once during baking.
- Cover with foil if it is browning too quickly.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
This made a nice change to weeknight chicken, I'm always looking for new ways with chicken and I loved this flavour combination. The chicken was very tender and I also cheated a bit by not pre cooking the chicken on the stove, I just threw it all in the oven for 40 minutes. Thanx for sharing your recipe Jan :)
The sauce was very fabulous - kinda a sweet and sour thing going on. I didn't use foil at all and as a result our chicken was tough. I think next time (yes there will be a next time!) I will cover the chicken with foil for 30 minutes then remove the foil for the last 15 minutes. I'll send an update. Thanks Jan for a lovely sauce!