Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My recipe for a deliciously decadent corn bread can be baked in a dish, or prepared as muffins.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup grade a pure maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lightly beaten large egg
- 1 tablespoon salted real butter
- 1 tablespoon grade a pure maple syrup
- NOTE: USE REAL BUTTER AND PURE MAPLE SYRUP (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING MARGARINE AND IMITATION MAPLE PANCAKE AND WAFFLE SYRUP!). (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 400°F for sheet cornbread OR 350°F for muffins; BUTTER an 8"x8" square glass baking dish or a 9"x9" glass pie plate (OR grease, then add liners, in up to 18 muffin cups).
- COMBINE the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon).
- WHISK the wet ingredients well in a small mixing bowl (3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk, 3/4 cup grade A pure maple syrup, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 lightly beaten large egg).
- ADD the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; STIR just until blended (IF PREPARING MUFFINS, LET BATTER REST 3-4 MINUTES, RE-STIR, THEN FILL MUFFIN CUPS.
- SCRAPE batter into prepared baking dish, or equally into muffin cups, using a flexible spatula.
- BAKE sheet cornbread on center rack at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, OR muffins at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- MEANWHILE, prepare the MAPLE-BUTTER GLAZE: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon salted real butter. Add 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup. Stir as needed, until flavors meld and consistency is smooth, about 3 minutes. Keep warm on lowest heat.
- IMMEDIATELY after baking while wearing oven mitts, baste the MAPLE-BUTTER GLAZE quickly, neatly and evenly over top of corn bread using a soft pastry brush.
- COVER baking tin with a foil tent (don't allow tent to touch cornbread or muffins), sealing the edges tightly; LET stand for 10 minutes.
- SERVE warm and enjoy.