Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is an old Gourmet recipe. The actual recipe used a maple leaf cookie cutter, but as you can see from the photo, I only had hearts. Very nice, mellow, maple-ish flavour. While these taste nice unglazed, the additional punch of maple takes it over the top.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in maple syrup and egg yolk.
- Combine salt and flour; fold into butter mixture.
- Chill dough, wrapped well in plastic wrap, until firm; about 2 hours or overnight.
- Dough may be made 4 days ahead and kept chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Divide dough in half; place remainder back in refrigerator.
- Lightly flour work surface, and quickly roll out to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with floured cutters; reroll any cut any scraps.
- Repeat process with second batch of dough.
- (If using maple leaf cutters, mark cookies decoratively with back of knife.).
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- While cookies are cooling, combine ingredients for glaze.
- When cookies have completely cooled, dip into glaze, and allow to dry on wire racks.
- Cookies keep in airtight containers 1 week.
These were tasty and enjoyed by everyone at the dinner party, but nothing so amazing that I would repeat again. Since it is maple syruping season, I had wanted a cookie cutter recipe using our maple syrup and this met the criteria. I thought they were a little boring, not quite as mapley as I wanted (admittedly I like very strong flavors/spices). To be fair, I did not make the frosting, just used a maple glaze over as they were drying. Maybe the frosting is what is needed to bring it together, but since it was a sugar frosting I didn't bother.
Exquisite - used amber maple syrup purchased from a young guy in Upstate NY who makes it himself. This crisp buttery delicious cookies will be hard to share (but I will). We skipped the icing - they are perfect as is. Thanks for a real keeper, s'kat!
Amazing maple flavor. Made the cookie recipe exactly, but I added maple flavor to the glaze. It seemed the maple flavor intensified over a few days. Delicious!!!