Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Maple syrup and bacon gives these sprouts a whole different experience. A side of brussels sprouts that the kids will/may eat? ;)
- 5 cups fresh Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 onion, diced about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- maple syrup (drizzle to coat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- Mix brussel sprouts, olive oil, water and salt in a microwave dish and microwave for 5 minutes or till tender.
- Meanwhile fry bacon till crisp, drained and crumbled, set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan brown onions for 5 minutes add garlic and seed cook for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar to pan deglaze scraping any goodness from pan.
- Toss cooked brussel sprouts drizzle with syrup warming through.
- Garnish with bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
This was delicious. I think that the bacon could have been a little sweeter (even though I used maple bacon) to counteract the vinegar, but very good.
The strangest thing happened today. I served this at Christmas lunch, and people, everyone, in fact, went back for seconds... and none of them actually eat brussel sprouts. Fantastic recipe, you can't go wrong with it. I forgot the caraway seeds, but did everything else and it was truly phenomenal. Well done on a GREAT recipe.
Rita,this recipe was SO DELICIOUS!! Although you didn't mention the amount of balsamic vinegar, nor the amount of maple syrup, so I just winged it, and added about 2 or 3 Tbls. of balsamic vinegar, and probably a 1/4 cup maple syrup.The flavors were just fantastic. I like that you sliced the brussels sprouts in half before cooking, because that allowed them to absorb more of the maple glaze/balsamic sauce into the little heads. And even though I'm not a huge fan of caraway, I decided to add it, and it was GREAT in there! Just subtle, but gave a nice added element of flavor. The only thing I changed as far as cooking method, was just that I added the onion and garlic to the bacon when it was 1/2 way done cooking, so they all cooked together. I did end up removing most of the bacon drippings before adding the sprouts. Do add the salt and pepper.Your combination of ingredients is simple and just perfect together. Thanks so much. This one's a keeper!!!