Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
If you love the classic combination of maple and brown sugar as much as I do, then why not enjoy it in French Toast form. Every bite of this delightfully rich French Toast is packed with the perfectly married flavors of brown sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup with a smooth undertone of vanilla and light custard-like texture. My kids gobbled down every last morsel, and I have no shame in admitting that I did too. :)
- 8 -10 slices white bread
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (real, not imitation)
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter, salted (optional ( 1/2 tbs. butter per slice)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Then whisk in milk. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla; whisk until fully incorporated.
- Bring a large skillet or griddle to medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Dredge each slice of bread in the custard mixture, being careful not to oversaturate the bread.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Serve hot with butter and real maple syrup.