Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is off of the foodnetwork.com site. I have made a maple brined turkey before and it was absolutely delicious. Not sweet, not salty but very moist. Posted this recipe so I wouldn't lose it again!
- 8 quarts water
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 2 bunches fresh thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 (20 lb) whole turkey
- Place all the ingredients, except the turkey, in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring until the salt dissolves. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Line a large stockpot with an unscented garbage bag and put the turkey into the pot. Pour the cooled brine over the bird, close and seal the bag, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the brine, dry well, and discard the brine.
- Roast the turkey as you normally would, approximately 15 minutes a pound. Let stand for 30 minutes before carving.
I make maple briened turkey every year and lost my recipe this was just as delicious. Simple, flavorful, and moist.