Recipe by Cinnamon Turtle
Sweet mapley goodness. Great for brunch. Time to prepare does not include at least one hour of sitting. Can be made ahead and let to sit overnight.
- 16 ounces bread, Hawaiian or 16 ounces challah, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened, low-fat is fine
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup (or maple-flavored)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 10 large eggs or 2 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 3 cups milk, your choice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Oil a 13x9-inch baking dish, or spray it with cooking spray. Sprinkle bread pieces evenly over the bottom. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup syrup, and shortening with electric mixer until smooth. Spread mixture over bread.
- Beat eggs, remaining syrup, and milk. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover; refrigerate at least one hour and up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350. Bake uncovered 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Serve with butter and additional syrup.