Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sweet mapley goodness. Great for brunch. Time to prepare does not include at least one hour of sitting. Can be made ahead and let to sit overnight.
- 16 ounces bread, Hawaiian or 16 ounces challah, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened, low-fat is fine
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup (or maple-flavored)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 10 large eggs or 2 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 3 cups milk, your choice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Oil a 13x9-inch baking dish, or spray it with cooking spray. Sprinkle bread pieces evenly over the bottom. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup syrup, and shortening with electric mixer until smooth. Spread mixture over bread.
- Beat eggs, remaining syrup, and milk. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover; refrigerate at least one hour and up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350. Bake uncovered 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Serve with butter and additional syrup.