Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cut bread into big cubes and leave some points sticking up to get crispy. Also sprinkle top with powdered icing sugar, to get crispier yet.
- 1 loaf fresh unsliced bread, cut into big cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups maple syrup
- 4 beaten eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Cube a loaf of bread into pieces, also remove crusts if desired.
- Pour maple syrup over the bread cubes and toss to coat well.
- Mix eggs with milk and whisk until blended.
- Pour over cubes for 20 minutes to absorb.
- Add raisins and pecans.
- Bake in a buttered casserole dish at 325°F for 40 minutes or until fork inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Topping for serving--Plain yogurt strained to remove some of the liquids, then add maple syrup and stir in well.
- Pour over the custard when serving.