Recipe by andypandy
Cut bread into big cubes and leave some points sticking up to get crispy. Also sprinkle top with powdered icing sugar, to get crispier yet.
- 1 loaf fresh unsliced bread, cut into big cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups maple syrup
- 4 beaten eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube a loaf of bread into pieces, also remove crusts if desired.
- Pour maple syrup over the bread cubes and toss to coat well.
- Mix eggs with milk and whisk until blended.
- Pour over cubes for 20 minutes to absorb.
- Add raisins and pecans.
- Bake in a buttered casserole dish at 325°F for 40 minutes or until fork inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Topping for serving--Plain yogurt strained to remove some of the liquids, then add maple syrup and stir in well.
- Pour over the custard when serving.