Recipe by Mary K. W.
From a booklet I picked up in the supermarket.
Top Review by Wendy-Bob
I really enjoyed this but it was a little sweet for my liking - I think it was the combo of the ketchup and maple syrup. I made it exactly as directed but did not add the hot sauce (I don't really know what it is - I'm not sure if it's something we have in the UK). Also, I think the recipe might have benefitted from marinating the chicken in the sauce for a few hours to tenderise the chicken and absorb some of the flavours up. We will probably have a variation of this again but I doubt we'd have it exactly as stated. A good recipe and well worth trying.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon or 1⁄4 cup whiskey
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add maple syrup, ketchup, bourbon and hot sauce. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until sauce is reduced by 1/4 cup. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in mayonnaise until smooth.
- Grill chicken, turning once and brushing frequently with mayonnaise mixture. Cook until chicken is done and juices run clear.