Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I played with a King Arthur flour recipe and got this tasty delight. YUM!
Make and share this Maple Berry Pudding Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar (I used the latter) or 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (I used the latter)
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark amber maple syrup, grade B
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon maple flavoring (extract)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup light brown sugar (I used the latter) or 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (I used the latter)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- First Layer:.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- MIx together milk, syrup, egg, vanilla, maple flavor and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients, stirring until evenly moistened.
- Stir in berries and spread batter into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Second Layer:.
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a bowl until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle over the top of first layer.
- Place pan on middle rack in heated oven and slowly pour hot water over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- *During baking the cake layer will rise to the top and a thin pudding layer will settle on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and serve warm from the pan with Cool Whip Lite, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
This was absolutely wonderful! Both the cake and the sauce delicious. I had whipped cream on hand, but I really think vanilla ice cream is the way to go. Thanks for sharing, we really enjoyed this recipe. Made for ZWT4- Edited to add: This cake is absolutely TDF for the next day after the sauce soaks up into the cake. A must try recipe!