Recipe by Engrossed
I played with a King Arthur flour recipe and got this tasty delight. YUM!
Top Review by Brenda.
This was absolutely wonderful! Both the cake and the sauce delicious. I had whipped cream on hand, but I really think vanilla ice cream is the way to go. Thanks for sharing, we really enjoyed this recipe. Made for ZWT4- Edited to add: This cake is absolutely TDF for the next day after the sauce soaks up into the cake. A must try recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar (I used the latter) or 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (I used the latter)
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup dark amber maple syrup, grade B
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon maple flavoring (extract)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup light brown sugar (I used the latter) or 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend (I used the latter)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- First Layer:.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- MIx together milk, syrup, egg, vanilla, maple flavor and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients, stirring until evenly moistened.
- Stir in berries and spread batter into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Second Layer:.
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a bowl until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle over the top of first layer.
- Place pan on middle rack in heated oven and slowly pour hot water over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- *During baking the cake layer will rise to the top and a thin pudding layer will settle on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and serve warm from the pan with Cool Whip Lite, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.