1/2 Photos of Maple Bars (Doughnuts)
1 hr 3 mins
I grew up with these oh so good bar doughnuts and didn't realize till recently that they are somewhat of a northwestern phenomenon. I actually halved the original recipe because it was so huge, so it does double. Don't use to much flour because it will make the dough tough. If you are feeling really decadent (they are already deep fried after all) I like to fill them with Bavarian cream filling which I get at our Cash and Carry restaurant supply store, or you can make it yourself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup milk (scalded)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 -7 cups flour
- oil (for frying)
- 1In a bowl place yeast and 1/2 water, to activate.
- 2Place butter, salt, and sugar in hot scalded milk, then add cold water.
- 3Mix well and add eggs to this.
- 4When it is cool enough place in mixer with yeast mixture.
- 5Add flour 1 c at a time till soft but workable dough.
- 6Roll out on lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- 7Cut into rectangular bars about 2-3 inches by5-6 inches.
- 8Let rise till doubled.
- 9Heat oil to 350°F and fry till browned on both sides.
- 10Drain on paper towels and when cool fill with bavarian cream if desired and frost.
- 12Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix with a hand blender till smooth.
- 13I frost mine as I eat them because if you let the frosting sit it will start to slide off the doughnut.
- 14The number you will get is determined by how big you cut them.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple Bars (Doughnuts)
Serving Size: 1 (2454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7185.0
- Calories from Fat 1745
- Total Fat 193.9 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 677.2 mg
- Sodium 4586.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1237.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.2 g
- Sugars 631.8 g
- Protein 117.3 g