Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Gourmet magazine, July 1993.
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the onions, the oil, the Worcestershire sauce, the mustard, the ketchup, the broth, the vinegar, and the syrup, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer it, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes, or until it is reduced to about 3 1/3 cups.
- The sauce may be made 1 week in advance and kept covered and chilled. Makes about 3 1/3 cups.