Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
If you like Maple Bar doughnuts with the sugared maple frosting, you'll love this cake! I love to experiment with flavor combinations, my family loved how it tastes just like their favorite doughnut.
Top Review by a_mikkelson
This cake was delicious! The cake itself was very light and fluffy (I didn't melt the butter but softened it which does effect the texture). The frosting was perfect as well. I sifted the powdered sugar to avoid lumps. Just a tip-- the frosting will be so much better if you use it as directed and pour it on when hot. I was making cupcakes so about halfway through the frosting was too difficult to work with and I heated it up again. The result was that the re-heated frosting dried hard and spotty while the original frosting stayed smooth and moist. The first cupcakes I made were just as delicious the second day (they didn't last any longer than that I'm afraid!).
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package butter recipe cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar (light, dark or mixed)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine Cake mix with listed ingredients in a bowl, stirring until evenly mixed. Pour into prepared pan pan, making sure to smooth out the batter until even. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- While that cooks, prepare the frosting. (The frosting needs to go on the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, because it is a quick-setting frosting) In a medium saucepan, add 1/2 butter and brown sugar and bring it to a boil. Once it starts bubbling, add in the 1/4 cup of milk and bring up to a boil, stirring frequently to create an even mixture.
- As soon as it starts boiling again, remove the pot from heat and add in the powdered sugar and maple flavoring. Beat with a wooden spoon until it is smooth. If you've timed it right, you should finish with this around the same time as the cake is being pulled from the oven. If it has already set, I stir it rapidly again.
- Pour the frosting over the top of the cake and spread it around to cover the entire surface. This will quickly set and harden.
- Cool completely.