Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this bread for the first time today and it is so good! The addition of flax seed makes it a healthy treat, too.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter a 9" x 5" loaf pan or coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, stir the flours with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and ginger until blended.
- Stir in the ground flaxseed and the nuts.
- Make a well in the centre.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then stir in the mashed bananas, syrup, oil and vanilla until blended.
- Pour into the well in the flour mixture.
- Stir just until evenly mixed.
- Immediately pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until a cake tester inserted in the centre right to the bottom comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes in the pan on a rack, then turn out on the rack to cool.