Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, filets removed
- 2 sturdy rolls (I like sourdough)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup arugula (or your favorite lettuce)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sharp Dijon mustard
- cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise or 3 tablespoons regular mayonnaise (No Miracle Whip!)
- 2 tablespoons homemade basil pesto (or store bought, if you haven't any homemade)
- 1⁄4 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 clove minced garlic
- 1 dash crushed chile
- 1 pinch sugar
- Make the marinade by combining all marinade ingredients.
- Marinate chicken for 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour.
- In the mean time, Preheat the grill.
- roast the red pepper.
- make the basil mayo by combining all mayo ingredients.
- peel the red pepper and cut into 4-6 large chunks.
- Grill the chicken.
- Add an extra tablespoon of maple syrup to the leftover marinade and brush this on the chicken in the last minutes of cooking.
- Make sure you continue to cook after you brush it on because it does contain raw chicken juices.
- Watch carefully because the sugar may cause charring.
- Toast the buns and rub them with a cut clove of garlic.
- Build the sandwiches by spreading one side of the bun with the Mayo, and stacking a piece of chicken, some red pepper, and some greens on the other side.
This was a delicious marinade. I made my own basil pesto and didn't make the pesto-mayo. I use ciabatta bread, and also topped it with tomatoes.