Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chicken and pork are often baked or braised in maple syrup in the Beauce. This easy recipe for chicken breasts can also be used with a whole cut-up broiler-fryer chicken. It's from the collection of Jeanne d'Arc Nadeau, long-time proprietor of Le Danube Bleu reception hall in St. Marie and a cookbook author. From A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour, all purpose
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon savory, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, dried
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a heavy, flameproof casserole, heat butter until bubbling and brown chicken pieces.
- Pour maple syrup over chicken.
- Sprinkle with savory, thyme and sage.
- Arrange onion slices on top of chicken pieces.
- Pour water into the bottom of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered in 350F oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender, basting occasionally with pan juices.