Recipe by SmHerndon
Since I found this recipe a month ago in Essence Great Cooking, we've had this three times! Smells like honey-mustard when baking, and serves up slightly sweet and spicy, without a mustard-y taste. Enjoy the cookbook original, but I have added quite a bit and here is the version my family prefers. Works fine with just the poultry seasoning if you are short on spices.
Top Review by I'mPat
The reaction varied between 4 of us from 3 to 5 but it was an easy recipe to put together and cook and I served with some reheated fried rice from the freezer for a reasonably quick meal that required the minimum amount of effort. I used a large whole chicken (weighed just over 2K) which I quartered and cut the wings off the breasts and left the thigh and drumstick/leg intact and cook for 65 minutes at 175C fan forced for very moist chicken with crispy skin. Due to allergy issues I did omit the onion powder and for the poultry seasons I used a Garlic and Herb Seasoning and for the Italian a Tuscan seasoning as that is what I had on hand and the chicken was quite flavoursome but the skin not as crispy as I would have liked. Thank you SmHerndon, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut or 3 lbs chicken drumsticks or 3 lbs chicken thighs or 3 lbs chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons fried poultry seasoning (McCormicks Salt-free Grill Mates is best) or 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning (McCormicks Salt-free Grill Mates is best)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Italian spices
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mustard (spicy is good)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any visible fat from chicken, then rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Coat sides with poultry seasoning, pepper, marjoram, onion powder& italian seasonings (more or less to taste).
- In large baking dish, arrange chicken pieces in single layer.
- In medium bowl, blend syrup, mustard, lemon juice & brown sugar; pour mixture over chicken.
- Dot each piece with butter, cover with foil, and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover dish, bake basting occasionally with pan juices, until brown& glazed- about 20 additional minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter and garnish with parsley.