- 1 lb navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 lb canadian back bacon, cut in 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups hot water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beans and place them into a covered earthenware pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and hot water, mix well.
- Cover and cook in the oven, at 300°F, for 3 hours.
- Remove cover and continue to cook for 1 hour or more until beans are tender and sauce is thickened.