Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Good stuff. I didn't put mine in the oven-just cooked on the stove top, but you can bake or crock pot or whatever you prefer. Recipe courtesy of Spilling the Beans.
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely grated (or pureed with a little water)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or two)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 6 cups kidney beans (cooked) or 6 cups white beans (cooked)
- 2 thick slices bacon (left whole)
- Preheat the oven to 300.
- In a large Dutch oven, or an oven-safe pot with a lid, stir together the onion, maple syrup, molasses, mustard, tomato paste, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Add the beans and stir well to coat.
- Pour boiling water over the top of beans, just until covered. If the pot is safe for the cooktop, bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. This will save a little oven time.
- Slide the bacon into the middle of the beans, cover the pot, and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 4 to 5 hours, checking hourly to make sure the beans are still covered, and topping up with more water if necessary.
- When the sauce has thickened and the beans have taken on the color and flavor of the sauce, remove the bacon altogether or chop it finely and stir it back inches.