Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is my aunt's recipe. One of the best baked bean recipes I have ever tried.
Top Review by Natalie Z
I made these beans to take to a work Christmas party. What a tremendous success. The maple flavor pervades and makes you want to stick your finger in the pot to get a taste. Your beans were very popular with the party-ers. YUMMY STUFF!!
- 1 lb dry navy beans
- 4 quarts water, divided
- 8 slices bacon, cut up
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 5 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven.
- Add 2 quarts of cold water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Return beans to the Dutch oven; add remaining water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix together beans and remaining ingredients; pour into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Stir occasionally; add reserved bean liquid if necessary.