Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a luxurious, homey, simple and delicious dessert. Serve with yoghurt, whipped creme fraiche or ginger ice cream.
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons chopped dried figs
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped toasted pecans
- 6 large firm baking apples, cored, but not peeled (Cortlands are good if you can get them)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 400*F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, dried fruits and nuts.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and stuff them with the fruit mixture, placing a knob of butter on top of the stuffing.
- Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into the bottom of the pan and bake the apples , basting every 5 to 7 minutes, until they are tender, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- When the apples are tender, transfer them to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour pan juices into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over hight heat. Simmer until the mixture becomes syrupy and reduces to a sauce (about 10 minutes). Serve over the apples.