Recipe by carduo6988
This is a great way to make delicious chicken quickly and with very few ingredients. It's my husband's favorite. This recipe is one of the results of many experiments with different ways of cooking low cost chicken meals when the price of beef went through the roof, and whole chicken was all we could afford. You can use your oven, counter top rotisserie, grill or campfire to make this. It's very easy.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 apples, Granny Smith are best
- 1 (16 ounce) package maple bacon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, Can substitute Cinnamon
- 1 cup maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Rinse the chicken, and remove the giblets. You can discard them, use them to make gravy for mashed potatoes or freeze them for later.
- Cut the apples into wedges, and sprinkle them with the Apple Pie Spice. Make sure you get the spice on every slice.
- Put the chicken into a roasting pan, and stuff it with the apples.
- Layer the Maple Bacon on top of the chicken, covering the enitire top of the chicken.
- Drizzle with half of the Maple Syrup, and set the other half aside for later.
- Cover and bake for 1-2 hours, depending on the size of your bird.
- Uncover and drizzle with the rest of the syrup.
- Put the chicken back in the oven, and set it to broil for about 10 minutes or until the top looks brown and the bacon looks done.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with your favorite sides.