1 hr 20 mins
In 'Tate's Bake Shop: Baking for Friends' by Kathleen King
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups pitted chopped dates
- 12 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces, cooked until crisp, drained and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup grade b pure maple syrup, plus
- 1 tablespoon grade b pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar (or other raw sugar)
- 1Position oven racks in the top third and center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- 3Scones--in a large bowl, whisk together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 4Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly with some pea-sized pieces of butter.
- 5Add the dates and toss to coat with the flour mixture; repeat with the bacon.
- 6Whisk the buttermilk and 1/3 cup of maple syrup together in a measuring cup.
- 7Pour into the flour mixture and stir just until combined; do not overmix.
- 8Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times.
- 9Roll out into a 1-inch thick round.
- 10Using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, pressing firmly to cut through the dates, cut out scones as close together as possible to avoid excess scraps.
- 11Arrange at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- 12Gently press the scraps together, roll out again, and cut more scones.
- 13In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- 14Brush the tops of the scones lightly with the egg mixture and sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- 15Bake, switching the positions of the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking, until the scones are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 16Let cool on the pans for 10 minutes.
- 17Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple, Bacon, and Date Scones
Serving Size: 1 (1632 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.6
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 443.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 6.7 g