Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
In 'Tate's Bake Shop: Baking for Friends' by Kathleen King
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted chopped dates
- 12 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces, cooked until crisp, drained and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup grade b pure maple syrup, plus
- 1 tablespoon grade b pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar (or other raw sugar)
- Position oven racks in the top third and center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Scones--in a large bowl, whisk together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly with some pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Add the dates and toss to coat with the flour mixture; repeat with the bacon.
- Whisk the buttermilk and 1/3 cup of maple syrup together in a measuring cup.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir just until combined; do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times.
- Roll out into a 1-inch thick round.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, pressing firmly to cut through the dates, cut out scones as close together as possible to avoid excess scraps.
- Arrange at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Gently press the scraps together, roll out again, and cut more scones.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- Brush the tops of the scones lightly with the egg mixture and sprinkle with the Demerara sugar.
- Bake, switching the positions of the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking, until the scones are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool on the pans for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.