Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I could make one of these tarts simply for the smell to permeate the house. And the best part, it is so tasty! It's pretty simple to prepare and delicious served with ice cream or whipped topping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut up and chilled
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 granny smith apples
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons milk, for brushing pastry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flours, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until it is the texture of coarse meal. Stir yogurt and maple syrup together and add to dough, mixing until it just comes together. Form into a disk, wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Peel and slice apples. Toss with maple syrup and cinnamon.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to ¼" thick. Slide onto parchment lined sheet and place apples and all the syrup in the centre and dot with butter.
- Fold crust over apples in about 5 folds - leaving some of the filling visible. Brush with milk and bake for about 35-45 minutes, until crust is brown and filling is bubbling.