Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
What can be better than apple and cinnamon? Apple, cinnamon and maple syrup! This is a delicious light apple coffee cake.
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup diced peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 9-inch Bundt pan with Pam.
- Make cake: in a large bowl and using a whisk, beat together brown sugar, cinnamon, egg, egg whites, applesauce, maple syrup, yogurt, oil and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, baking powder and baking soda. With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture just until everything is combined.
- In another bowl, toss together apples, sugar and 1 tbsp flour. Stir the mixture into the batter. Pour it into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester comes out dry.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack.
- Make icing: in a bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together the icing sugar, syrup and water. Add additional water as needed to achieve spreading consistency. Spread icing over cake.
Very moist and very tasty. Like other reviewers, I used 2 whole eggs. Also subbed corn syrup for maple syrup as real maple syrup is just too expensive, Hubby said to put in on the "make again" list
So easy and yummy for low fat. Not overly sweet which is a plus. Very moist cake, with lots of flavor.
Yum! I made this last night and the whole house smelled delicious!! I used 2 whole eggs and used fat free sour cream in place of the yogurt. I added a touch more cinnamon and frosted the cake with cream cheese icing. I wasn't paying attention and greased a 9x13 pan instead of a bundt pan so I only had to bake it about 25 minutes. Thanks Redsie for sharing this!!