Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Cooking Light, MAY 2009
- 5 7⁄8 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 1⁄3 ounces whole wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, syrup, oil, and egg in a bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon batter into an 8 x 4–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.