Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Perfect with tea. Frost with Pomegranate Cream icing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light maple syrup
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually followed by the maple syrup and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape.
- down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into greased cupcake tins, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.