Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From most recent book. Haven't tried A traditional Spanish dessert, flan is a creamy custard baked with a sugar based caramel, which creates a toasty tasting sweet sauce. In this version, sugar free maple syrup is drizzled on top to create a similar effect. The maple taste is the perfect complement to toasted silvered almonds.
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 8 ounces fat-free evaporated milk, canned
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granular sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 275. Spread almonds on baking sheet and toast, stirring once, until lightly golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer almonds to a cutting board to cool. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk and fat free milk wand heat over medium-low heat until scalded but not boiling. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg substitute, sugar substitute and almond and vanilla extracts. Whisk in 1/2 cup of heated milk mixture, then whisk in remaining milk mixture.
- Divide flan into 4 6 ounce custard cups. Place cups in a baking pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the cups. Bake until flan sets, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, cool in pan, then chill in refrigerator 4 hours or overnight.
- Half an hour before serving, remove flans from refrigerator. Just before serving, run a knife along edge of cups, and invert flans onto individual plates. Drizzle each with 1 T syrup and sprinkle evenly with almonds.