Maori Boil-Up With Doughboys (Dumplings)
- Add stock, water and pork to pot, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for an hour.
- Soak watercress in cold water for 10 minutes. (This removes bitterness) Squeeze out moisture and break into pieces. Set aside.
- Add kumara, onion, green onion and tomatoes to stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pork and chop into pieces. Return meat to stock and boil for 5 minutes. Add salt and watercress and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the doughboys. Cut butter into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in enough milk to make a stiff, slightly sticky dough.
- Drop either teaspoon or tablespoon sized amounts of the doughboy mixture into the the boiling pot, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Don't lift lid while cooking. Larger doughboys will take a bit longer.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped cilantro.