Recipe by True Texas
Old PTA organization cookbook from my hometown, early '80's. I love Mexican casseroles, this one sounds different. This is one of those dishes that you can make changes, I will probably add some cumin and maybe a little hot pepper sauce next time.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (27 1/2 ounce) can Manwich sloppy joe mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute' ground beef, onion and garlic in 10-inch skillet until beef loses redness. Drain fat.
- Add seasonings, Manwich and water; simmer 3-5 minutes.
- In a 1 - 2 1/2 quart casserole, arrange alternate layers of tortillas, meat sauce and cheese until used up.
- Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes.