Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies have been a staple in my home since I was a kid. I believe they are of Puerto Rican origin...
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 2 cups flour
- Blend together shortening, butter, lemon peel, vanilla, anise seed, & salt.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Gradually stir in flour.
- Chill dough.
- Working with half of dough at a time, roll into 1-inch balls.
- Place on lightly greased cooky sheet, 1 1/2" apart.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Store in airtight container.