Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From about.com :Finnish Mansikkalumi, "Strawberry Snow," is a light and easy summer dessert that can be served immediately at room temperature or prepared ahead of time and frozen in a decorative mold. I'm posting for ZWT6 and my strawberry harvest. For those who are leery of egg whites you can use 6 tsp. powdered egg white reconstituted with 6 Tbsp. warm water or you can use liquid whites that come in a carton. I have some leftover ladyfingers that I will use tonight in place of the almond rusks. I might even sprinkle them with a drop or two of Frangelica...
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 8 almond rusk cookies (optional) or 8 biscotti, crushed (optional)
- Combine whipping cream and vanilla extract, then chill for 15 minutes (or more) in the refrigerator.
- Mash or blend strawberries into a purée. Whip together the strawberry purée and egg whites until light and frothy, gradually adding baker's sugar (note: the mixture will triple in volume).
- Whip the chilled cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into the strawberry purée mixture.
- Pour into dessert bowls or glasses, garnish with fresh strawberries, and serve immediately (can be refrigerated for up to two hours).