Recipe by DebbiF
I am posting this in regards to a post in the Recipe Exchange Forum. Emeril made this today on his show and it looks great!
- 24 ounces chorizo sausage or 24 ounces other hot sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon spice essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 large fresh jalapenos, stems and ends removed,cut into 20 slices about 1/4 inch thick each
- 12 corn tortillas
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic, Essence, and chili powder, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Place 4 tortillas on a work surface.
- Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture.
- Top each with some cheese and a few jalapeno slices and top with another tortilla.
- Add another layer of sausage, cheese, and jalapeno finishing with 1 more tortilla.
- Each stack should be 3 tortillas and 2 layers of filling.
- Press firmly down on the top of each stack.
- Lightly oil the grill or griddle and cook the stacks for about 3 minutes per side, or until the tortillas are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Cut each into 4 pieces.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with the cilantro.