Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Not for Gringos! This is a hearty dip based on the basic Rotel Dip but MUCH better. Perfect for cinco de mayo or superbowl parties. Note IF you have any leftovers checkk out Tex Mex Scrambled Eggs for breakfast the next morning.
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 lb hot breakfast sausage, cooked and drained (Jimmy Dean preferred)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, chopped fine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes (extra hot preferred)
- Fritos corn chips
- Combine cheese and Rotel tomatoes in microwave safe dish. Microwave until smooth.
- Stir in cilantro, jalepenos, and sausage. Heat another 60 seconds.
- Serve with Fritos.
- If you don't like things too hot cut back on the peppers and use regular Rotel.
- I have also used the reduced fat Velveeta and it still is wonderful.
I omitted the cilantro and used original rotel tomatoes and green chilis........everyone at the superbowl party loved it! Several people wanted the recipe. And I do recommend using Frito Scoops!
Overall a good recipe. Not sure why its "not for gringos" though as this isnt spicy. Subbed out the jalapeno for 6 habaneros and the sausauge for home made chorizo to make it spicier. Going to tool around with the recipe some more.
A good recipe made better by replacing the Jimmy Dean hot sausage with Odom's Tennessee hot sausage. Much more flavor in this brand.