Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is a flavorful side dish.
Top Review by isvilena
Absolutely wonderful. My daughter loves it. She doesn't like to eat cooked vegetables but from this meal she ask for second portion. I prefer to use red pepper, one onion and one carrot for more colour. Thank you for the recipe.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, Sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice in colander with cold running water.
- In large saucepan, bring water and salt to boil; add rice; reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, over medium high heat, fry bacon 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to paper towel; pat dry and chop.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from skillet; add onions and cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add green pepper, celery and mushrooms; cook, stirring 3 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to 8 cup casserole.
- Stir in butter, beef stock, half of the bacon and rice.
- Top with remaining bacon.
- Bake covered, 15 to 20 minutes in 350 F degree oven until rice is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.