1/10 Photos of Manicotti W/Turkey, Cremini Mushrooms & Ricotta Cheese
This is our favorite Manicotti recipe. It has evolved over the years from trial and error. We like the unique flavor from the ground turkey. I like to make it for my father when he comes to town; it's one of his favorites, served with a green salad and garlic bread. I use a Ziploc bag to pipe the filling into the manicotti shells, it makes it super simple and they come out looking very nice. I am posting 'step by step' photos. Hopefully they will make the recipe seem less intimidating for some. It really is a simple, yet impressive dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 manicotti
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (chopped, not sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 8 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 8 ounces roasted red peppers (from a jar, chopped)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1Cook the manicotti shells to al dente, approximately 7 minutes depending on the brand. Drain and set aside. (I like to line the plastic containers the shells come in with tinfoil and let them cool there until ready to use).
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, then add the turkey and fennel seed. Cook until the turkey is browned, breaking it up as it cooks.
- 3Add the onions and cook until they start to turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for about 2 minutes, then add the roasted red peppers and finish off by cooking for about 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 4Stir in the ricotta cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the turkey and cheese mixture into a large Ziploc bag.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- 6Snip one corner off of the Ziploc bag and gently fill the manicotti shells with the mixture, placing them in the casserole dish as you go. If a shell splits, just put that side down in the dish.
- 7Pour the spaghetti sauce over the top of the manicotti, spread evenly. Top with the parmesan cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Manicotti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Manicotti W/Turkey, Cremini Mushrooms & Ricotta Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.5
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.8 mg
- Sodium 1172.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 37.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: