Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
This is a full-flavored, spicy Italian pasta best served with a good Chianti and an excellent Ceasar Salad. The latter recipe will follow soon. The recipe is a recreation of my Tuscan grandmother's except for the baking approach to cooking. It is a complex recipe but the result is beyond compare. The recipe was published in the Wisconsin State Journal on March 17, 1985 in my name and was not copyrited.
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 finely minced red onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 2 lbs ground round
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) canground Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup fine sangiovasi chianti wine
- 4 cups italian ricotta cheese
- 3 fresh eggs
- 1⁄2 cup freshly ground romano cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 14 manicotti
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground romano cheese
- Saute the Onion, Garlic, Ground Round and Sausage in Olive Oil until meat is browned.
- Drain all liquids. Crumble Basil, Oregano, in your hands as you add them.
- Add Celery Seed, Bfown Sugar Salt and Pepper.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer, uncovered until the consistency is that of a very thick Spaghetti Sauce.
- While the sauce is reducing and marrying, prepare the Filling.
- Place the Ricotta in a Lg Mixing Bowl and stir in eggs.
- Add the Romano, Pepper and Nutmeg.
- Crumble and add the Parsley.
- To assemble, fill the uncooked, dry noodles with a teaspoon or a Baker's Cone.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan with sauce.
- Carefully arrange the noodles and cover them with the remaining sauce.
- Place in a 400-degree oven and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove, uncover, sprinkle with additional Romano or Parmesan Cheese and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- This recipe is best cooked for the first 40 minutes one day and the 10 the next.
- Serve with a Fine Chianti, a Caesar Salad and Lemon Ice.