Recipe by Ruby15
Manicotti (the word means "little muffs") is a Southern Italian favorite - tubes of pasta stuffed with cheese and served with a savory tomato sauce. Reciepe came from a 1984 Mcall's Cooking School Cookbook. Recipe makes TWO casseroles (one to cook, one to freeze). Each serves 6.
Top Review by saycheez
Thanks so much for reviving this recipe..I had made it for years after it was in the magazine and then after a couple of moves-lost the recipe..needed the exact recipe for the tender, easy and delicious crepes (mannicoti)! They make the recipe no matter what sauce you use. Beats by miles the tubes sold in boxes.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 -2 minced fresh garlic clove (1 - 2 depending on size)
- 28 ounces tomatoes, Italian undrained
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE SAUCE:.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven (or any large sauce pan), saute onion and garlic 5 minutes.
- Mix in rest of sauce ingredients and 1 1/2 cups water, mashing tomatoes with a fork.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer mixture, covered and stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- MAKE MINICOTTI:.
- In a medium bowl, combine 6 eggs, flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 cups water; with electric mixer, beat just until smooth. Let stand 1/2 hour or longer.
- Slowly heat an 8-inch skillet (if not using a skillet with a non-stick surface, bursh skillet lightly with butter before each manicotti - or spray with Pam). Pour in 3 tablespoon of batter rotating the skillet quickly to spread the batter evenly over the bottom.
- Cook over medium heat until top is dry but bottom not brown.
- Turn out on a wire rack to cook. As the manicotti cool, stack them with waxed paper between them.
- PRE-HEAT OVEN: 350°F.
- MAKE FILLING:.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmesan, the eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley; beat with a wooden spoon to blend well. Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each manicotti, and roll up.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce into each of the 2 (12 x 8 x 2) inch baking dishes.
- Place eight rolled manicotti, seam side down, in single layer; top with five more.
- Cover with 1 cup sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake uncovered, 1/2 hour, or until bubbly.
- TO FREEZE:.
- Line baking dish with large piece of foil; assemble as directed. Fold foil over to seal, and freeze in dish. When frozen, remove dish. To serve: Unwrap; place in baking dish, and let stand 1 hour to thaw. Bake uncovered, 1 hour in 350F oven.