Recipe by Fauve
My college-student son always asks for this meal whenever he is home. Top grades always go to this effort in the kitchen!
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti, uncooked
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown sausage, drain fat.
- Add onion and garlic, cooking till onion is slightly transparent.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, comine cheeses and egg.
- Mix well.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator while manicotti noodles are cooking.
- Cook manicotti as directed on package; drain.
- Stuff manicotti shells with cheese mixture.
- Spread half of the tomato based sauce on bottom of a greased 13 x 9" baking dish.
- Place stuffed manicotti over sauce.
- Spoon remaining sauce over manicotti.
- Cover& bake 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining 1 cup mozarella cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer.