Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by a Greek friend who made it for special occasions.
Make and share this Manicotti recipe from Food.com.
- 1 package Hillshire Farm Italian Sausage (Mild)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 box fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 container ricotta cheese
- 2 -3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 package frozen spinach, chopped or 8 ounces fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 box manicotti, boil as directed on package
- Squeeze out of casing into hot kettle.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Put mushrooms in 30 minutes before preparing dish.
- Stuff Manicotti with cheese mixture.
- Put some sauce on the bottom of 9 x 13 pan.
- Place Manicotti in rows so they're not touching each other.
- Pour remaining sauce on top.
- Top with some Mozzarella.
- Put in oven at 350F degrees until it bubbles.
Very good recipe but too blank for my family who family loves spicy and fresh produce. I modified the sauce by adding finely chopped fresh garlic, onions and used hot italian sausage. The sauce was great. I also added 1 cup of the meat sauce to the cheese filling for the manicotti. This is a keeper.
I followed this recipe exactly, and I even did it right, so far as I can tell; however, I really did not care for it at all. The filling was okay, but I didn't like the sauce at all, and none of my kids liked it. Sorry, I don't normally review things unless I can give them a good rating; and this wasn't TERRIBLE by any means, just not something I would go out of my way to make again.
Very easy and outstanding! I halved my recipe, using 7 manicotti shells, 3 oz fresh spinach leaves, chopped, and halved the cheeses for the filling. The sauce was quick and tasty, having omitted the mushrooms entirely, and used a farmer's sausage, diced up, which I added to the sauce and didn't do any heating up, taking it straight to the baking dish. Baked about 40 mins. This made 2 meals for the 2 of us, along with a Greek salad one night, and Tomatensalat (Tomato Salad) (tomato salad) another night. Just great. Thanks.