Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This was my favorite recipe as a kid. All the ingredients I've listed are kid friendly, but you could add spinach or other "adult-only" foods if you like. Serve with a nice green salad and warm bread! Delicious!
- 1 box manicotti
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, cut up
- 15 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 packages Lawry's spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated bread
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley
- In medium saucepan heat tomato sauce, tomatoes (with juice& chopped), water, olive oil, and sauce mix.
- Simmer 25 minutes.
- Brown ground beef and mix with a beaten egg, bread, cheese, milk, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Put a little sauce in the bottom of pan.
- Stuff uncooked manicotti shells with meat filling.
- Place as a single layer in pan.
- Put sauce over the shells.
- Pour 1 cup of water around the edges of the pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
A winner at my non-eating ricotta household! DH always loved my meat and cheese stuffed shells and loved these just as much. I used diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, McCormick brand spaghetti sauce mix (1 envelope with mushroom and 1 envelope zesty). For the cheese, I used a shredded blend of 6 Italian cheeses and also topped off the dish in step #10 with extra cheese, as well as sprinkling on some Italian seasonings. I baked it for about 45 minutes with the foil on, then for about 15 minutes with the foil off and it was perfect. A keeper here at my house; thank you!
We really enjoyed this one last night. I substituted parmesan cheese for the grated cheddar and added some shredded mozzarella on the top for the final ten minutes of baking. Next time I will bake a little longer than 40 minutes...the manicotti shells weren't quite done. Still this was wonderful and has been added to our list of family favorites. Thanks!