Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are a clam chowder lover, then this is a must try, It's great with crusty French bread and a side salad, this is not the cream-style version ;-)...even tastes better the second day!
Top Review by Outta Here
Very delicious! I left out the green pepper (don't care for it) and added a mahi mahi filet cut into pieces and some Oregon shrimp. Don't leave out the hot sauce-it adds a nice touch to the soup! I used bacon fat, and chopped the 2 strips of bacon and added them also. Served with rolls made from recipe #114709.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon bacon fat (butter OR olive oil can be used, but bacon fat is more flavorful)
- 3 -4 stalks of destringed celery, chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, diced
- 5 -6 small potatoes, coarsly diced (or more if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry (optional)
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes, with peppers
- 3 cups chicken broth (low salt)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped clams or 1⁄2 cup minced clams
- 1 (1 lb) can baby clams (UNDRAINED)
- 1 -2 bunch green onion, finely sliced (TOPS ONLY)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley (or any amount desired)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in the bacon fat in a large pot.
- Combine all ingredients except for the clams and the garnishes.
- Cook, until the potatoes are tender, but not too soft.
- Add in the minced clams and the undrained clams with their juice, the onion tops, parsley and the lemon juice; cook about 5-10 minutes.