Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This clever take on the Manhattan is a perfect adult dessert. For the best tasting float use a premium black cherry soda like Stewart's or IBC as opposed to store brands. Cook time is freeze time. This recipe was inspired by Gabriel Frasca of Spire in Boston.
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1⁄4 cup quality Bourbon, plus
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet vermouth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 liter cherry soda, chilled (One liter = three 12-ounce bottles)
- maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Add ice cream to a blender or food processor. While the machine is running quickly add the bourbon and process until it just combines. Spread the ice cream in a rectangular glass or plastic container with lid and put in freezer until firm enough to scoop, this should take about 20 minutes.
- While the ice cream is freezing, whip heavy cream with vermouth, sugar and bitters until soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
- Fill 4 tall glasses 2/3 of the way with cherry soda. Put a scoop of ice cream into each glass and top with the chilled whipped cream. Place maraschino cherries on top of whipped cream and serve. Enjoy!