Entered for safe-keeping. Adapted from "Blue Ribbon Preserves: Secrets to Award-Winning Jams, Jellies, Marmalades and More" by Linda J. Amendt. Requires 2-4 weeks to steep. Preparation and cooking time do not include the steeping time. Mango vinegar is good for chicken marinades, vinaigrettes, and hot pepper sauces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the chopped mangoes in a clean 2-quart glass canning jar. If you want heat, add the Scotch bonnet pepper (please wear gloves when handling!).
- 2In a medium non-reactive saucepan, heat the vinegar until simmering, but not boiling.
- 3Remove the pan from the heat, and pour the hot vinegar over the mangoes in the jar.
- 4Set aside to cool. When it's cooled, cover the jar with 2 layers of plastic wrap and screw on a jar lid or screw ring. Place the jar in a paper bag and set in a cool, dark, dry location and let it steep for 2 weeks. Gently shake or swirl the jar every few days to help blend.
- 5After 2 weeks, taste the vinegar. If the flavor has not developed enough, recover. It may take up to 4 weeks to develop full flavor.
- 6Once it has developed the flavor you desire, strain the vinegar through 3 layers of clean cheesecloth.
- 7Then strain through a coffee filter.
- 8Let the vinegar sit over night covered and allow any sediment to settle.
- 9Strain the vinegar again through 2 layers of coffee filters.
- 10Prepare your final bottle by washing with warm, soapy water and filling it with boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain the bottle and fill with the vinegar, leaving about 1/2 inch head space. Seal each bottle with a new cork or screw cap.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mango Vinegar With Optional Scotch Bonnet Pepper
Serving Size: 1 (648 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.9
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 1.6 g