Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A different take to the traditional upside down cake!
Make and share this Mango Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour lemon juice over mangoes and let stand 15 minutes.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in 8 inches cake pan or casserole (do not use iron skillet as mangoes will darken).
- Add brown sugar and cover with mango slices.
- To prepare cake batter, cream remaining butter.
- Then add sugar and cream.
- Then add beaten egg.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add to the batter alternately with milk.
- Pour over mangoes and bake 50 to 60 minutes at 375°F.
- When cake is done, turn upside down and serve while warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Source: Rare Fruit Council International, Inc. Miami, Florida.
This recipe was very good. However, I felt it needed something.... Perhaps a touch of nutmeg or cinnamon in the fruit or a bit of almond extract in the cake. I will try it again....with a few revisions.
LunaStar made this cake with fresh mango and added just a bit of vanilla and it was Scrummy! A nice, dense cake with plenty of flavor. Moist, but not drippy, so it would make a great party cake, (or breakfast??)!