Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve this with rice/rice noodles.
- 1⁄2 lb snap peas, ends trimmed, if needed
- 1 carrot, sliced into long pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) packet firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
Mango Tomatillo Salsa (use 2 cups)
- 1 semi-ripe mango, peeled and seeded, plus
- 1 semi-ripe mango, peeled, seeded, and small diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 orange, juice of
- 10 medium tomatillos, peeled washed, and diced finely
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Begin by peeling 1 of the mangoes removing all the flesh possible and discarding the seed.
- Place the mango pieces in a blender with jalapeno, lime juice and orange juice. Blend until smooth and place in large bowl.
- Meanwhile peel and remove flesh from the remaining mango and finely dice.
- To finish the salsa, add the tomatillos, tomato, red onion, cilantro, and the diced mango all to the pureed mango mixture season with salt and pepper.
- For the tofu:.
- Fill a large bowl with water and add ice. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the snap peas. Blanch until they brighten and have lost their raw taste, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the snap peas and transfer them to the ice water. When cold, drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the tofu, sesame oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce and mix. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or heavy sauté pan over high heat. Add the grapeseed oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the tofu and stir-fry until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the snap peas and the salsa. Season with salt and pepper and serve.