Recipe by Grace Lynn
This dessert has turned some of my dessert-hating friends to second servings! I have made this recipe about 5 times now, each time to rave reviews. This recipe came from Sunset Magazine, inspired by a dessert served at Surt's Restaurant in Volcano Village on the Big Island. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes (about 1 3/4 lb. total)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk or 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese (1/2 lb.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 42 double ladyfingers, split (about 2 packages, 3 oz. each)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups thawed frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel mangoes and cut from pit lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Measure 1 cup of the smallest pieces; cover and chill remaining large slices.
- In a blender or food processor, whirl the 1 cup mangoes and the coconut milk to a smooth puree; pour into a bowl.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, granulated sugar, and brandy.
- Whisk over simmering water until mixture reaches 140 degrees F.
- Adjust heat to keep mixture between 140-150°F, and continue to whisk for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the mascarpone cheese; stir until mixture is well blended.
- In a deep bowl with a mixer on high speed, whip cream and powdered sugar until cream holds distinct peaks.
- Add the mascarpone mixture and fold gently to blend.
- Separate ladyfinger pieces.
- With a fork, dip half the pieces, 1 at a time, in mango puree to coat; lift out, drain briefly, and arrange flat side down in a single layer in a 9-inch square pan.
- Cover ladyfingers in pan with half the mascarpone mixture, spreading it level.
- Repeat to dip remaining ladyfinger pieces in mango puree and arrange in a single layer over mascarpone mixture in pan.
- Spread remaining mascarpone mixture smoothly over top layer of ladyfingers.
- Cover tiramisu airtight and chill at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir coconut until golden, 4 to 6 minutes; pour into a small bowl.
- When cool, cover airtight.
- To serve, cut tiramisu into 9 equal squares.
- Use a wide spatula to lift out portions and set on plates.
- Arrange reserved mango slices equally on portions and sprinkle equally with toasted coconut; spoon raspberry sauce equally around desserts.
- Raspberry Sauce: Rub the thawed frozen raspberries through a fine strainer into a bowl; discard seeds.
- Add 3 tablespoons sugar and stir to blend.
- Makes about 1 cup.