This is posted for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I haven't had time to try it yet, but - YUM! The source is the Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cookbook.
- Combine water, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in saucepan. Cook 5 minutes, and cool.
- Combine mangoes and cream in blender container. Blend til smooth. (Or, mash mangoes with a fork and add cream stirring to incorporate.).
- Stir in cooled syrup and lemon juice. Divide and freeze mixture in two freezer containers until partially frozen (you can use one container, but it will take longer).
- Meanwhile chill a mixer bowl. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to the soft peak stage. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar to the egg whites, and continue beating until the peaks are stiff.
- Add contents of freezer containers to the chilled bowl, and break into chunks. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites. Return to the freezer containers, and freeze until firm.