Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I haven't had time to try it yet, but - YUM! The source is the Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cookbook.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Combine water, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in saucepan. Cook 5 minutes, and cool.
- Combine mangoes and cream in blender container. Blend til smooth. (Or, mash mangoes with a fork and add cream stirring to incorporate.).
- Stir in cooled syrup and lemon juice. Divide and freeze mixture in two freezer containers until partially frozen (you can use one container, but it will take longer).
- Meanwhile chill a mixer bowl. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to the soft peak stage. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar to the egg whites, and continue beating until the peaks are stiff.
- Add contents of freezer containers to the chilled bowl, and break into chunks. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites. Return to the freezer containers, and freeze until firm.
Wonderful! I was able to get some ripe Mexican apple mangoes, and this was the perfect recipe for them. I used dehydrated egg white powder instead of the 2 egg whites, simply because I didn't want to have 2 egg yolks leftover. For each egg white, I used 2 teaspoons egg white powder and 2 tablespoons warm water, then whipped as usual. It didn't look like the powder would dissolve at first, but it did while I was whipping it. Then, because I'm lazy, I put the mixture into my ice cream freezer and froze it there. This is just lovely as it is, but I seem to remember once having some mango ice cream with just a hint of honey. I think next time I might add about 2 teaspoons honey and see if I like it even better. Thank you very much for sharing this beautiful recipe with us. I have also noted another reviewer's comment about using different kinds of fruit. I will also try that.
Wow. Easy and delicious. I even tried it with different fruit. So far, strawberry and peaches work really well.
Fantastic, really made me look good when I served this.